?

Log in

No account? Create an account

... msvcrt.dll (livejournal 1.4.2 issue) potential fix

« previous entry | next entry »
Nov. 29th, 2000 | 06:25 pm

for anyone having problems with livejournal 1.4.2 under win98/winME... the issue is with the DLL's not being updated on install. This is a problem with the installer that is used, not with livejournal itself.

until i change the installer, i need someone to test this out for me. download http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp4/win98/EN-US/VBRun60sp4.exe and then reboot. at that point, livejournal 1.4.2 should work properly.

let me know if this works for you by posting a comment here. if it doesnt work, let me know here as well. if this works for enough people, i will post it to news. so, the more people that test it for me now, the better.

thanks.

Link | Leave a comment |

Comments {8}

(no subject)

from: al_iguana
date: Nov. 29th, 2000 07:00 pm (UTC)
Link

i thought the problem was something like that, thats why i emailed you about it last week. however, installing the vb runtimes doesn`t cure it.

i even tried updating the windows libraries but that didn`t work either.

maybe my machine is too set in its ways ;)

however, all that can wait. you rest up and take it easy.

Reply | Thread

Tim

(no subject)

from: visions
date: Nov. 29th, 2000 07:15 pm (UTC)
Link

to ensure that things are truly updated...

do things in this order:

install the vb runtimes (file link in main post)
reboot
install livejournal full
run it (it may or may not work)
reboot
run livejournal again (it should work)

Reply | Parent | Thread

(no subject)

from: al_iguana
date: Nov. 29th, 2000 07:31 pm (UTC)
Link

you are going to hate me for this, but no, that doesn`t work either :(

i can`t for the life of me figure out why though.

oh yeah, i don`t know if i mentioned this before, but the first time i installed 1.42 it worked fine, until i switched off. then the next day i got the page fault.. and everytime since. i don`t know what significance that has, but every little bit helps, right?

take care

Reply | Parent | Thread

Tim

hmm

from: visions
date: Nov. 29th, 2000 07:46 pm (UTC)
Link

try running this binary instead...

Reply | Parent | Thread

by george i think he`s got it!!!

from: al_iguana
date: Nov. 29th, 2000 08:02 pm (UTC)
Link

okey, so i installed the full 1.42, then replaced the binary with your new one. it works!! i`ve tried friends etc and it all works fine. what did you do? what ever it was, i think we have a cure :)

Reply | Parent | Thread

Tim

Re: by george i think he`s got it!!!

from: visions
date: Nov. 29th, 2000 11:18 pm (UTC)
Link

hehe... well, try this one and see if it still works.

Reply | Parent | Thread

sweet

from: al_iguana
date: Nov. 30th, 2000 12:08 am (UTC)
Link

yeah, that works fine too. i think you could post that version.... assuming it works on other machines, it seems very stable.. no problems at all.

is it because i installed the runtimes, or because you changed something? or because the installer is messed up? i`d love to know.

heheh.. i am also available to beta test Quark Xpress 5, Photoshop 7, Dreamweaver 4, Flash 6....

Reply | Parent | Thread

Tim

Re: sweet

from: visions
date: Nov. 30th, 2000 12:28 am (UTC)
Link

i changed a string after a while loop before deleting it. fencepost conditions and initial oversite by me resulted in the error... which i had actually noticed before but hadn't realized what was causing it since it only seemed to behave weirdly under the debug build.

*sigh*

anyway, ill have some people test it that haven't updated the dll's to see if it still works in that situation, and if so... ill rebuild the install files, update the version... and let brad know to upload it to livejournal.com for me.

Reply | Parent | Thread